Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Great Divide

Well, Lawrence has seen Watchmen, John has seen Watchmen and so has Wilson, and i'm worried about my opinion. I've written my review (which will be up after it's published) and it's not a glowing one. I know the film is inaccessible to people who aren't comic book fans. I knew John would love the action bits. But yeah...is it a good movie? From a film point of view, it has its ups and downs. It's visually stunning, yet it drags on a bit.

From an adaptation point of view, i would say is about 90% faithful. Making something like watchmen means you can't take huge liberties without pissing someone off. Case in point, i have no quarrel with the ending. (Spoilers up ahead, uh-duhhh) I actually think that it makes a bit more sense. Also, i'm sure the giant explosion made John all a-quiver. I do however, have an issue with Rorschach hacking someones head in with a hatchet when in the comic he just tied him up and left him to DIAF (die in a fire).

Sure, i can see how it would be really similar to Saw. So? Watchmen came first, its an integral part of Rorschach becoming who he is, and instead of delivering justice he murders the fucker. I was not a happy camper.

Lawrence... was disappointed. I mean, we all have our own way of looking at things, i like how i can argue with him about things like this though. It makes it much more interesting than just agreeing on everything and shit.

Watchmen, for me personally, is about what it would take to unite the world. How people who are supposed to be heroes can let millions die for the sake of world peace. It's about how its less about the super, and more about the human.

But thats just me :)

No comments: