Friday, October 2, 2009

It's always touchier than you think, isn't it?

So, religion is a touchy subject aye? Today has had a lot of it for some reason, so I thought I might as well write a bit about it. I mean, what the heck, if you don't like it, don't read the post, just look at this picture of this sign.


Are you done with that? Alright cool, moving on. Today I had a conversation with my sister and my little brother (he's nine) about whether or not I believe in God.

My brother found it so hard to believe that I wasn't prepared to say that I believe that there is a God (also that's a bit of a mouthful isn't it?). I could have sugar coated it, sure, I could have lied to him, but he's my brother. He's also very religious, which is alright, I just want him to know that there are options apart from blind faith. That it's alright to ask questions about the important things. I don't want him to be a sheep.

Also, this afternoon kind of cemented my own personal "lack-of" faith. I'm sitting at home, reading a new book and having a quiet smoke when the neighbours start singing. That's cool, it's not as if it was unpleasant. Then the speaking in tongues starts and the loud proclamations to "release the evil spirit of high blood pressure from this woman!"

I don't know about you, but if had a person babbling in a nonsense language and yelling at me, my blood pressure might not be so stable.

But hey, to each their own, if you want to believe that the world was made 4000 years ago, awesome. I'll stick to my belief in a higher power out there somewhere that probably doesn't particularly care about us. At the end of the day, believe in whatever helps you sleep at night, because a good nights sleep is important.

And that's why I definitely believe in alcohol.

1 comment:

Talatala said...

repent now or forever burn in the fires of hell you heathen